How I Ascertain the Will of God?
By George Mueller
1. I SEEK AT THE BEGINNING to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.
2. HAVING DONE THIS, I do not leave the result to feeling of simple impression. If I do so, I make myself liable to great delusions.
3. I SEEK THE WILL of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
4. NEXT I TAKE into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
5. I ASK GOD in prayer to reveal His will to me aright.
6. THUS, THROUGH PRAYER to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly.
In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.
7/7/2016 05:05:21 pm
7/21/2021 09:04:18 am
11/11/2020 06:32:41 am
So, the very first entry on the heart having "no will of its own in a given matter"..... where does Mr. Muller share his struggles with that? What practical steps did he take, or what understanding did he arrive at to allow him to come to such a point? When he says that's 90% of the battle, I'd agree. That's the Goliath and everything else is an ant, seems to me.
7/21/2021 09:09:29 am
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.